BW Kudu/Namcor/Ministry of Mines and Energy are running a nation-wide essay competition
amongst grade 9-12 school learners. The competition aims to raise awareness on oil and gas in the
national energy mix. This project also aims to enlighten the public about the existence of significant
Petroleum resources on Namibian territory, while at the same time promoting this specialised commercial
resource visibility amongst its diverse stakeholder groups.
Format/theme of the competition
The essay competition will run under the theme "How do we best develop our natural gas resources for the future of Namibia".
The theme relates to the benefits of hydrocarbon (gas) exploration and development.
Prizes to be won
- Great prizes will be awarded to the selected winners. A winner will be selected from every region and each winner will receive an amount of N$3000 plus N$4000 for their school
- The overall top 3 winners will each receive a brand new laptop
Rules of the competition
- Competition is only open to 9-12 school learners nationwide
- Learners are required to write a 1000 word essay or make a short 2 minute video, podcast, poster or
animation on the following topic
- "The petroleum resources in Namibia belong to all of us. How do we best develop Namibia’s natural gas resources?"
- Learners should send their work to email@example.com
- Learners are advised to be as creative as possible
- The steering committee for the essay competition consist of three members;
- BW Kudu's General Manager, Mr Klaus Endresen
- Namcor's executive for Up stream Development and Production, Mr. Manfriedt Muundjua
- Ministry of Mines and Energy Petroleum Commissioner, Ms Maggy Shino
- BW Kudu will pre-select 25 essays/posters/video/or animation. The steering committee will then select 12 winners- Steering committee will preselect 42 Essays/posters/videos or Animations then select 14 winners (1 per region)
- The Steering committee will pre-select 42 essays/posters/videos (3 from each region). These will be handed over to the adjudicators who will then select the top 14 (1 from each region)
- Our panel of adjudicators are experience individuals with various backgrounds. The adjudicators will select the winners who will be
announced at the Award ceremony
The panel will consist of;
- Rowland Brown : Economist and Co-founder of Cirrus Capital
- Dr Leake Hangala : Executive Chairman/Founder of Hangala Investment Holdings Pty Ltd.
- Jane Katjavivi : Writer, publisher and book development activist in Namibia
Deadline of entries
- Deadline for the BW Kudu Essay Competition entry submission has been extended to 15 June 2021
- Selected winners will be announced mid-July 2021
Visit the following websites to learn more about the companies/institutions: